KUALA LUMPUR: The Sungai Buloh-Kajang MRT project will not cost over RM23bil and is on track for completion by July 2017, said Mass Rapid Transit Corp Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp) chief executive officer Datuk Azhar Abdul Hamid.
Market talk has it that the cost of the MRT Line 1 project would exceed RM23bil and go as high as RM50bil. “We will ensure the project stays within the budget,” he said at a media briefing on the MRT Project Progress Report 2012 yesterday.
As at Dec 18 MRT Corp had awarded a total of 54 packages worth RM20.31bil out of 85 packages, he said. “The remaining 31 packages worth around RM3bil will be gradually awarded,” Azhar said.
On the participation of bumiputra contractors, he said the value of contracts awarded to date against the total awarded stood at 45%.
Earlier, he said 3% of the project had been completed since groundwork began in March. “We will be able to meet the deadline. The construction work will be intense in the next 24 months.”
He said most engagements along the 51-km alignment had gone well but there were some areas with issues, namely, Pinggir Zaaba in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Jalan Sultan, Jalan Bukit Bintang and SJK (C) Naam Kheung in Cheras. “We have initiated whatever action we can to avoid the issues affecting them. It is their right if they choose to take legal action but we will continue this public transport project,” he said.
In another development, Azhar said MRT Corp was ready to undertake the MRT Line 2 and Line 3, which were currently under final planning and evaluation by the Land Public Transport Commission. “It would be good if we were given the responsibility to monitor and track the projects. We already have the expertise and equipment to handle that,” he said.
The Government is expected to announce the alignment and station locations of Line 2 and Line 3 next year.
Source: The Star Online
Published: Friday, December 21, 2012